Student Complaint Policy and Procedure

Saint Mary’s University of Minnesota is committed to respecting all members of our university community and providing a quality educational experience for all students. 

See Saint Mary’s University of Minnesota SGPP Catalog and Student Handbook or College Student Handbook for full policy and procedure.

The objective of the Student Complaint Policy and Procedure is to ensure that the concerns and complaints of undergraduate or graduate students are addressed fairly and are resolved promptly. Complaints related to this policy are usually the result of behavior that the student feels is unjust, inequitable, or creates an unnecessary hardship.

Students may file a complaint using this procedure if they believe a problem is not governed by SMUMN's other complaint or appeal procedures. Many of the other complaint policies may be found in the SMUMN Student Handbooks and Catalogs. If there is a question regarding which appeal or complaint procedure is the most appropriate, students should contact the Office of Student Affairs. After consulting with the student, Student Affairs staff will direct the student to the most appropriate procedure.

Connect With Us

Timothy Gossen, Ed.D.

Senior Director of Admission and Dean of Summer Programs


Vlazny Hall, VL 113

Campus Box: # 9

(507) 457-1597

Timothy Gossen Ed.D.


Whenever possible, students are encouraged to seek an informal resolution of the matter directly with the faculty or individual(s) involved. Often a complaint can be resolved in this way. However, if an informal approach is neither successful nor advisable, the student should use the following procedure:

student complaint form should be submitted to the Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs. It should contain (at a minimum) the date and time of the alleged conflict or action, the reason(s) for the complaint, a summary of the complaint, a list of other persons who may provide information, and any appropriate documentation. The student must also include the resolution or outcome he or she is seeking. The complaint must be submitted within ten (10) business days of the alleged conflict or action.

Regardless of their state of residence, any Saint Mary’s student may bring their complaint to the Minnesota Office of Higher Education or to Saint Mary’s accrediting agency, the Higher Learning Commission if they are not satisfied with the outcome of the institutional complaint process. Note that these agencies do not handle every type of student complaint and may redirect complainants as needed.

Minnesota Office of Higher Education
Betsy Talbot
Minnesota Office of Higher Education
1450 Energy Park Drive, Suite 350
Saint Paul, MN 55108
Filing a Complaint - MN Office of Higher Education

Higher Learning Commission
230 South LaSalle Street, Suite 7-500
Chicago, IL 60604
800.621.7440 / 312.263.0456
Filing a Complaint – Higher Learning Commission

Finally, students in online programs who reside in states and territories that are not members of the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (NC-SARA) may contact their own state higher education regulatory agency for complaints that cannot be resolved with the university complaint process.

Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education
2535 Capitol Oaks Drive, Suite 400
Sacramento, CA 95833
phone: 916-431-6959
Filing a Complaint - California

American Samoa Community College
Kathleen Kolhoff, Ph.D.
Vice President Academic and Student Affairs
University of Guam
Robert Underwood
President of the University of Guam
Northern Mariana Islands Postsecondary Education
Office of the NMC President
P.O. Box 501250
Saipan MP 96950
Palau Community College
Dr. Patrick U. Tellei
Palau Community College